Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

View From My Kitchen Window and Ramps or Wild Leeks


Early yesterday morning,
looking out the kitchen window
I noticed a lot going on at the Bluebird house.
Quickly new batteries were put in my camera
and I enjoyed a lot going on in their world.

Mama bird flew in and out of the bird house
and dad kept watch.  He was  so protective
and I was so impressed as I watched him continually
chasing off another bird trying to get near their home.


They were really busy
and I thoroughly enjoyed watching them.
Would love to peek inside
the birdhouse
but I will not :)

A comment on my last entry from Nancy at "Good Food Matters"
 asked if I had Ramps or Wild Leeks in my woods.
I had never heard of them.
So now a new search will begin...

 
There is always
something interesting going on
when living at the edge of the woods.

Aware there is probably much that could be added to my diet that is growing in the woods
but still not sure
if I can add these to my diet at this time of life....

A habit I am trying to change
of getting up in the middle of the night for a snack
and then turning on computer.
Well aware it is because I go to bed early and will be up again by 5:00 with a
busy day ahead.

But then
I love getting up before daybreak, watching the sunrise and the day begin.
A life long habit....

6 comments:

Balisha said...

Good morning!
I love seeing pictures of your bluebirds. We haven't much nesting going on here except for our pair of doves in the blue spruce. They come back to our tree every year.
I've heard of ramps...but I've never eaten any. Let us know if you find some.
So many things in the wild could be eaten, but I'm a bit afraid to try them...like many mushrooms.
Have a beautiful day...don't work too hard.
Balisha :)

Sharon said...

Beautiful bluebirds. The robins are everywhere here. I've seen ramps for sale but I haven't had them myself. Enjoy the day Ernestine ~

Judy said...

I love those pictures! We use to have lots of Blue birds in this area--now I never see them. I know what Leeks are and have had Leek soup, but never knew what a Ramp was--except to get on or off the expressway.

Wisewebwoman said...

Well my dear you had me looking up "ramps" as I'd never heard of them and am always curious.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allium_tricoccum

so there I go.

I'm happy now :)

XO
WWW

Tabor said...

Our bluebirds are nesting somewhere, but I have been too busy gardening to find out which house! You eat very healthy, so I am sure you will find ramps.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Balisha, Sharon, Judy, WWW and Tabor, thank you for visiting..