Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Rum Cake - Looks Good

The old recipe is pulled out of file
and probably been over 20 years since I made it.

50 year old stem pan is prepared
Cake looks good
and always concerned if they will slide out of pan when inverted
and no problem
looking good.

Sugar, water, butter is boiled for 5 minutes
stirring continually,
take off burner and add Rum.
Pour on cake after many holes are punched in cake
Finished product
and it looks good.
I am tempted to try
but if I do
might eat the whole cake...
This is a copy of the old recipe
probably
close to 50 years old
I remember
that many years ago
when children were small and all home
I would use Rum flavoring
when making this cake.

Sure hope this is as good as I remember...

There was a small bottle of Bacardi Rum in the cupboard
planned on putting in tea at times
so used that.

14 comments:

thewiildmagnola said...

it looks relish!!!!!!

thank you for sharing the recipe and pictures.

we are back in Florida for the winter.

wishing you a blessed forever.....

Tabor said...

Looks like a great celebratory dessert. Have a wonderful holiday!!!

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Sandy, lucky you - it is so damp and cold here by the woods..
Tabor, will see if it taste as good as it looks - will not try
and I will eat more then a slice :)

Balisha said...

Your Thanksgiving will be blessed by luscious desserts. This one looks delicious. I have a bundt cake that has sherry as an ingredient. It's good too. Maybe a little slice of cake with a cup of tea with rum is in order for you. Have a wonderful day...Balisha

Val said...

I don't know if I've ever had anything with rum in it. That's a pretty cake, though. :)

Judy said...

Well now--Me Lady has rum stashed up in her cupboard? Tsk Tsk. LOL The cake looks awfully good!!

lil red hen said...

Your family is in for a real treat!!
Hope you have a wonderful day, full of love.

Sky said...

wow - that is the very same recipe we use in our family. I recall one Christmas when I made 5, back to back. people came over to celebrate Christmas in small groups and each set of friends ate it until it was gone! just could not get enough. it is so delicious and so moist!(I don't even punch holes in mine. it absorbs fine for me. I use bundt cake pan.) oh, how I love this cake! was fun to find you using the same recipe. I'll be making it for Christmas instead of thanksgiving. I always dust the top of mine with powdered sugar when it is cool.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Balisha, Val, Judy and Charlotte, :)

Sky, oh my - I cut this recipe out of the paper many years ago.
That is remarkable
that you use the same recipe and dusted mine with powdered sugar.
Thank you for sharing...

Sharon said...

This looks so good I might just have to try it. I'm making vanilla with rum for the first time, with the thought that it would make tasty Christmas treats. May your Thanksgiving be blessed~

Marielle said...

That cake looks divine!!!

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Sharon and Marielle,
Cake was so good and moist
but think next time - rum in cake and 1/2 that amount for pouring on top...

nancy at good food matters said...

Looks good? Looks great!
what fun to bring back an old recipe, and still be pleased with it.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Nancy, this cake was wonderful and going to make some for gifts at Christmas.
Did not show the picture with
confectionary sugar sifted on top.
Again
it was a winner...